I was reading an article on “Parathay wali gali” of Old Delhi and suddenly felt kind of heart appetite , “my life is invain, if I can’t dig in a gobi or mooli paratha right now ” . Rushed to my kitchen and found no raddish at home but luckily a fresh cauliflour was peeping through my regrigerator’s veggie basket !! Yayyyyyyyyyy !!! Decided to make the Punjabi Pride with lots of passion !!! :)
For the Paratha dough :
3/4 th cup all purpose flour
1/4 th cup white atta ( wheat flour)
1 tea spoon oil
1/4 -1/3rd cup of room temperature or cold water
pinch of baking powder ( optional )
1/2 tea spoon sugar
A pinch of ajwain
For the filling :
1 cup finely chopped cauliflower florets ( you can take the tender stems too )
1 tea spoon whole coriander seed
1/2 tea spoon cumin/ jeera seed
1/2 tea spoon ajwain
1/2 tea spoon cumin powder ( dry roasted and then powdered)
1/2 tea spoon chaat masala
1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder
1/2 tea spoon red chili powder
1/4 th cup finely chopped onion
Finely chopped green chilies
Chopped coriander/ cilantro
1 tea spoon ginger paste
Salt to taste
1 or 2 tbl spoon butter
Oil / ghee for frying
1. Steam the chopped florets or microwave in a closed lid box for 2 minutes . Then coarsly mash it with hand or masher .
2. Heat oil or ghee . Now add the whole coriander , ajwain and jeera . Now add the ginger paste . Fry for a while . Add little water, around a tbl spoon , then keep adding turmeric and chili powder . Add the steamed cauliflower and salt . Fry for a while . Turn off the stove and add the chopped onion , green chilies , jeera powder , chaat masala , chopped cilantro and mix well . When cooled down add some frozen butter and mix with your hand . You can keep the filling in the refrigerator until you start making the parathas .
3. Make a dough with the ingredients mentioned for the paratha dough . Knead very well . Then cover it with a damp cloth for about half and hour .
4. Make balls from the dough . You will have 3-4 balls from the dough . You can roll them into a small disk or use your hand . I used both the technique . Now put some filling in and seal the ball . Now roll it into paratha .
If you want square paratha , roll the small balls , then fill in with the fillings and Fold the edges like the picture and roll out . I find the second square method perfect . The filling from the paratha come out less while rolling , looks fabulous!!!
By the way , don’t worry when you see , filling is coming out from the paratha while rolling them out . It’s quite okay .
Make sure , you have put enough filling into the paratha .
5. Fry the parathas without oil first . Then add 1/2 tbl spoon oil or ghee on each side of the paratha and fry until the surface is crispy .
Enjoy with chutney and pickles !!!