Egg Kofta with Wax Gourd in coconut milk
This is a fusion of two different recipes of my mom. One is egg kofta and other is Wax gourd/ chaalkumra in coconut milk. Both are my favorites..I combined two recipes in one and it tasted too good. In original recipe my mom used to steam the egg mixture like pudding or flan. We used to call that JHAAl PUDDING or “Savory Pudding” . Then she would slice them and cook in gravy of our choice. Sometimes in coconut milk, sometimes regular curry way. Here, I didn’t steam the kofta, instead I microwave them for two minutes. Huge time saving!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole preparation took me less than 20 minutes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I already posted microwave egg kofta curry previously. There I used cup for making Cup kofta, but today I gave it the original , authentic look. Here’s the link of my Microwave egg kofta curry..
Half of one medium sized potato ( boiled and mashed)
Half a teaspoon garlic paste
Half a teaspoon ginger paste
Little turmeric powder
Little chili powder
Wax gourd or chaalkumra cut in thick square or cube.
6 tbl spoon of onion paste
1 teaspoon of ginger paste
Half a teaspoon of garlic paste
Half teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of chili powder ( or according to taste)
1/4th teaspoon of coriander powder
1 cup of medium thick coconut milk
Bayleaf, cinnamon, cardamom
Cumin seed and cardamom- roasted and grinded together into a powder.
salt to taste
1.For Kofta beat 3 eggs and blend it with mashed potato ( half of one medium sized potato), little ginger-garlic paste, little turmeric powder, chili powder and salt.
2. Now pour some of the mixture into a greased square box. The kofta will rise up to the top of the box,so pour only half of the box at a time..Microwave for 2 minute or until done …You can also pour the mixture into a greased microwave oven proof dish and bake it like a cake.Then slice it and cook it in the gravy.
In the original recipe it’s being poured into a mould and was cooked on steam like pudding. That is how it looks after slicing.
3. In the mean time fry the wax gourds in oil . Before frying , rub them with little salt and turmeric. Don’t deep fry them. Heat oil in another wok . Add bayleaf, Cinnamon and fry a little. Then add onion paste, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric-chili, coriander powder and salt..cook adding water little by little. Now add 2/3 rd cup of water and 1 cup of coconut milk.Add the kofta and gourd . Cover the lid.. I used Maggie coconut milk powder . To enhance taste , I Mixed my coconut milk powder in regular milk while making the coconut milk.
4. Cook them on medium low heat. The koftas may expand a little, so make sure the gravy should go into the koftas..
5. Microwave Cumin seed and 2/3 cardamoms. Grind them into a powder. Add them into the gravy.Add some green chilies too.
6. Turn off the heat and let it be on the stove like that for 5/10 minutes with the lid on until oil separates.
Enjoy with plain rice or pilaf/ Polau !!!!!!!!!!!!
1. Always use small boxes for thick volume of kofta.
2. When done, don’t try to unmold the pudding as it may break from the bottom. Just slice keeping them on the box and take out the pieces from the box.
3. Make sure the gravy goes into the koftas.