Tortilla de Patata / Spanish omelette , an improvised version of classic Spanish omelette.
1 large potato
1 medium sized onion, sliced
Bell peppers/capsicum, chopped
Mushroom, 1/4th cup
Chopped shrimp 1/4th cup
Grated Cheese (optional)
Crushed black pepper, 1/4th teaspoon
Salt to taste
You may add crunchy beef fry , sausage, chicken, carrot in it .
1. Peel the potatoes and cut half lengthwise. Now slice them thin ( it would look like potato chips cut, but a little thicker than it). It is not necessary to slice the potatoes paper thin but try to make thin, should be like thick crisps. Rub them with salt.
2. Fry the potatoes in oil . The oil should be over potatoes. It’s not deep frying but you need more oil than usual. leave the potatoes in the pan until they are cooked . When it breaks into two , if u poke a piece of potato , it is done . It shoudn’t be crispy or burnt. Add the mushroom, onion, bell peppers into it . Fry for a while . Now drain the excess oil and let them cool.
3. Whisk the eggs , now add crushed black pepper , salt, the cooked potato, mushroom, onion, bellpeppers. Add chopped shrimp and tomatoes. Mix well but don’t break the potatoes.
4. Take a non-stick pan and wipe the pan with little oil . Don’t heat it too much , otherwise the omelette will be burnt at the bottom. The heat should be on medium flame. pour the mixture into the pan. Allow the egg to cook around the edges. Add the grated cheese if you like. With a spatula keep scraping the edges of the omelette. Reduce the heat of the stove a bit. When the bottom is done or it comes away from the pan if you try with spatula , its time for turn it over to cook the other side. Don’t try to do it with your spatula, it may break. So we are going to use a little trick here.
5. Take a plate and put it over the pan . Put one hand on the top of the plate and with the other hand hold the handle of the pan and flip over. So the omelette flips on the plate without breaking.
6. Wipe the pan again with little oil and transfer the omelette into the pan again and cook the other side on medium heat.
7. Serve hot!!!!!!!
1. The smaller pan you take the more volume you will get . So always use small pan to have the volume and fluffy look.
2. People who are on diet or loves to eat healthy, they can always boil the potato instead of frying and may take 2 egg whites and 1 egg with yolk to make it more healthy.