Old Dhaka Style Chicken Tehari
1 Chicken, cut in 6/8 pieces
Onion Paste half cup
Ginger paste 1 and half table spoon
Garlic paste 1 and half tea spoon
Red chili powder half teaspoon
Coriander powder half teaspoon
Cardamom , Cinnamon, Bayleaves , black cardamom
1/4th cup oil + 1 tbl spoon of mustard oil
Salt to taste
9/ 10 Baby potatoes
For the masala grind half teaspoon cumin , 1/4 th teaspoon whole coriander , half teaspoon fennel , 3 cardamoms , 5/6 cloves , 9/10 white or black pepper , little mace ( javetri ) and nutmeg ( jaifol) together into a fine powder.
For Rice :
Aromatic rice like kalojeera/ Basmati 750 gram or 3 cups
Ginger paste 1 tbl spoon
Chopped Onion 1/3rd cup
Ghee 100 ml + vegetable oil 100 ml
Salt to taste
2/3 green Cardamoms, 2 small black cardamom, small stick of Cinnamon and 1 Bay leaf
Handful of green chilies, minimum 20 green chilies, but don’t split it.
1. Marinate the Chicken with all the ingredients mentioned above. Cook well adding water little by little for at least 30/ 35 minutes.That is what we call ” Koshano” in Bangla. Then add water and potatoes and cook until the water is almost dried out. Don’t add too much water as your chicken will be already almost cooked while “koshano” . Just add enough water to get the potatoes half done and the chicken to be well cooked.
2. In another pot heat ghee+ vegetable oil. Add the cardamoms, cinnamon and bay leaf. Fry for a while and then add the chopped onion .Fry them until they r light brown. add the rice, salt and ginger paste.. Fry a little. Add the chicken with remaining little gravy. Mix well. Add hot water. For each cup of rice, add 1 and half cup of water. So Since here we took 3 cups of rice, we need to add 4 and half cup of water.Cover the lid and cook on medium flame.
3. When the water is almost drying out add handful of green chilies, at least 20.
4. Reduce the heat and stir with light hand without breaking the rice. Keep it on low flame, which is known as dom. What I do, I always use double boiler method. For that place your Tehari pot over another pot, filled with water. Keep it on medium flame. The steam will make the tehari just perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!
Serve hot with desi style salad and kababs or even boiled eggs..Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
1. The real taste of tehari depends on the green chilies we put on it. Don’t get scared putting at least 20 green chilies at a time!!!! It won’t make your tehari hot, but will give you the authentic flavor.
2. Don’t use yogurt or milk while cooking meat . In tehari you don’t need those stuff , rather I’ve noticed tehari tastes even better without using these stuffs. 🙂
3. Don’t stir your tehari too much while cooking, if you do so , you may end up having sticky, gooey mashed rice. Just stir it once with light hand before placing it on “dom”. The rice may seem little uncooked , but don’t add any extra water. When you put it on dom it will be perfect. I always prefer Steaming process I mentioned rather keeping it on taowa.. Steam makes it so perfect..
4. For the authentic smell you may light some charcoal and place it on the top of your pot if you are using any metal lid .. 🙂