Home made Naan!!!!!!
Flour 2 cups ( 1 cup =250 ml)
Instant active dry yeast 1 tea spoon
Sugar 2 tea spoon
salt 1 tea spoon
Powder milk 1 tbl spoon
1 beaten egg
3 tbl spoon oil
luke warm milk 1/4 th cup
luke warm water 1/8 th cup
You may need a little more water or milk to make the dough.
Half a teaspoon garlic paste (If you r making garlic naan)
Chopped garlic (If you r making garlic naan) or any herb of youe choice like cilantro , mint ( though I didn’t use any in mibne one as my husband doesn’t like herb in naan!!)
Butter to rub the naan
1. Mix all the ingredients, except oil,chopped garlic and cilantro.. Knead very well ..now add the oil and mix well. Knead for a while .Make a pliable dough and rub the dough with little oil. Put it in a closed box and keep it in a warm place for 1 hour or until it doubles up!
2.Punch down all the air from the dough and make small balls from it.
3.On a dusted surface roll it over and dust the surface of the naan on chopped garlic and cilantro. You should roll it thin, because it will rise up when you will fry them on Tawa..
4.Heat the Tawa as hot as possible and place the naan there.cover the lid.. .. It may take 1/ 2 minutes to get one side done..Flip it over and cook the other side.The flame should be at medium high.
5. After removing from tawa rub the hot naan with butter that would make your naan softer and keep your naan softer for a longer time .
1. You can make naan in oven too at 400 Fahrenheit . But to tell you honestly , naans made on stove r softer and tastier if you compare it with oven made naans and stove made naans stay softer for a longer period of time.
2. If you want to keep them softer , cover the warm naan in cheese cloth or foil and stack the naans together in it to keep the moisture for a longer period!!!!!!!!!
3. Always remember too much hot water or milk always kills the yeast . So the water or milk should be luke warm . Neither hot nor cold or room temperature !!!! And salt also kills yeast . But at the same time sugar or honey is the key ingredient to activate yeast . If you don’t have yeast at home you may try using yogurt instead of yeast ! You have to keep the dough for a longer time for fermentation!!!!:)