Pound Cake with yogurt
A classic pound cake refers to a type of cake traditionally made with a pound of each of four ingredients, butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. The texture being dense yet tender . It is heavier than any other butter cakes . Any cake with airy and light texture is not pound cake for sure.. Now a days, there are many variations in the pound cake recipes regarding ratio of the ingredients and the ingredients as well !!!!!! Mine one is inspired by an Italian pound cake recipe given by my favorite chef Laura Vitale!!! But yes , I did change the recipe a lot and I’m surely gonna share with you the little tips and tricks as to obtain that dense but tender texture of pound cake!!!!!!!!
2 eggs ( room temperature)
1 container of flavored yogurt (4 oz container), I took banana blend , you can use vanilla flavor as well.
Vegetable oil 4 oz or half a cup( in a measuring cup where 1 cup=250ml) + 1 tbl spoon butter
Sugar 4 oz or half a cup ( in a measuring cup where 1 cup=250ml) + 1 tbl spoon sugar
All Purpose flour 1 cup heaped ( in a 250 ml= 1 cup , measuring cup)
Baking soda little less than 1/4 th teaspoon
vanilla essence half a tea spoon
Lemon zest 1 tea spoon ( level)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (FH), grease and line a loaf pan with parchment or wax paper and grease again.
2. In a bowl sift together flour and baking soda . Mix lemon zest with it .
3. In another bowl cream butter and sugar with blender or electric hand beater until light and fluffy. The more fluffier , the more tender the cake is . Add egg one at a time and beat well. Add the yogurt and blend well . Mix it with the flour mixture with a light hand . Don’t mix vigorously , you may end up with a tight cake!! Add the vanilla essence.
4. Pour the batter in the pan and bake it in a pre-heated oven for 40 minutes or until done at 350 degrees . You may reduce the heat a little if you think the oven is too hot after 20/25 minutes . Pour the batter only half of the pan . Otherwise the cake may rise and collapse!!!!!!!!!!!
5.Allow to cool completely before serving .
1. Pound cakes are dense in texture and little heavier than other butter cakes . Baking powder and baking soda always make the cake texture airy and light.So I prefer not to use baking powder or baking soda the amount given in other cake recipes .
2. I used only a little amount of baking soda( not baking powder) , because with yogurt , baking soda reacts the best !!! According to Paula Deen
“Baking soda needs an acidic ingredient to react with to release carbon dioxide, the gas that is released in small bubbles to give the baked goods their lift. Acidic ingredients in baking are yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk, molasses, honey, citrus juice, and even vinegar.”
3. Try to use room temperature ingredients for the best result.