Beef Curry/ Beef Bhuna , Bangladeshi way
Beef 1 kg
Onion Paste half cup
Onion, sliced half cup
Ginger paste 2 tbl spoon
garlic paste 1 tbl spoon
Turmeric powder a little more than half teaspoon
Chili Powder to taste ( in my family we love to eat hot, spicy beef, I took 1 level tbl spoon of chili powder )
Coriander Powder half teaspoon
Cardamom pods 3/4
2/3 bay leaves
Salt to taste
Special Garam masala Powder
For 1 kg meat , here’s the measurement of SPECIAL GARAM MASALA:
Dried red chili 1 or 2
Cumin 1 teaspoon
Whole coriander 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon a small 1 inch stick
Black pepper half teaspoon
Fennel Seed a little less than 1 teaspoon
Mace half teaspoon ( optional)
Dry roast them. I Microwave them for 40-45 second.Then Crush them into a fine smooth powder.
1. Wash the meat and drain out the water well . Now marinate the meat with all the ingredients , except sliced onion and oil.
2. Heat oil in the pot . Add the sliced onion and fry them until brown . Don’t make it too dark , u may end up cooking dark colored beef bhuna . The color of the meat depends on this. So fry them until they are brown . In Bangla what we call “bereshta” or fried onion.
3. Now add the meat with marinade into the pot . Mix well with bereshta . Give 1/4 th cup of water and cover the lid . Cook the meat on medium-low flame for about 20/30 minutes or until the water is dried out . The meat will release water . So wait until the water dries out . Cook well, adding water little by little . Don’t burn the meat on the bottom, so be careful . Check every 10 minutes . But you have to cook well adding water little by little , what we call in Bangla “Koshano”. The flavor of bhuna beef depends on this “koshano”. I do it for at least 1 hour .
4. After one hour of “Koshano” , add enough hot water to cover the meat . Cover the lid and let it cook on medium flame until the meat is tender and the gravy comes to desired consistency.Put it on very low flame for another 5 minutes ( which we call to keep on dom) , oil will separate. Turn off the stove and put the meat on the stove with lid on .
1. Raw papaya is meat tenderizer, so you may add 2 tbl spoon of papaya paste to the recipe.
2. For the better taste, always chose good quality meat . Many of us take out the fat and throw away the bones from meat . DON”T DO THIS !!!!!!!! Bones and little bit of meat fat enhances the taste . So try to keep some bones and little bit of beef fat while cooking Desi style beef bhuna .. 🙂
3. Some like the dry roasted cumin flavor in their curry. You may add few pinches ofdry roasted cumin powder at the end, but be careful , you ruin the color and flavor of the meat if added more.
4. The taste of the beef bhuna or curry depends on how long you cook it . “Koshano” is very important . My Mom’s beef bhuna is very famous and she taught me that one magic trick of mind blowing flavor of Beef bhuna, and the trick is “Koshano”. The more ” Koshano” , the More ” Moja” ( tasty) . Do it for at least 1 hour . The more the better !!!!!!!!