Whole Stuffed Cauliflower Roast, deep fried version
Cauliflower is undoubtedly my favorite veggie . Any preparation goes so well with it . Among those , I love , whole stuffed cauliflower the most . This is my family recipe , more specifically mom and Aunt special .In my family ,no occasion , no feast in winter is complete without it . There are at least 4 different version of it , like sometimes the cauliflower is covered with mashed potato and then fried or baked , sometimes it is coated in a batter and fried till crispy . Sometimes it’s just pressure-cooked without any coating . Sometimes cooked in gravy .Among them I love the crispy battered deep fried one the most .
1 small cauliflower
1 heaped teaspoon of ginger
1 heaped teaspoon of garlic
Salt to taste
For Batter :
All purpose flour / maida 1 and 1/4th cup ( 1cup+1/4th cup)
Baking powder less than half a teaspoon
Baking soda 1/4th teaspoon
Chili Powder 1 teaspoon
Chilled water little less than 1 and 1/4th cup
Salt to taste
You can take anything for stuffing . My mom , most of the time used to take beef keema for the stuffing . But she even used chicken and prawn/ shrimp keema for the stuffing . You can use any fish keema too .
I took shredded chicken today .
For the stuffing , if you are taking any keema , then boil it with water , soy sauce , garlic-ginger paste and whole garam masala like cardamom, cinnamon and bayleaf . Dry out the water , now heat oil and add the keema , little salt (if needed), capsicum , lots of sliced onion and green chilies . You may add little oyster sauce, if you want . I didn’t . If you wish you can add little cornstarch mixed in milk and add to the suffing to make it little sticky ..
1. Cut the extra stems of the cauliflower . But don’t cut the main stem . Now boil it in water with ginger-garlic paste and salt .
2. In Bangladesh , the cauliflower florets seem to be separated with each other as it is .There is enough space to stuff the filling in but in USA I found the florets to be so dense , hardly get the space to put the filling easily . So I boiled it like 70% . If you are in Bangladesh , just half boil it .
Now try to stuff the filling inside ,to the spaces around the florets . Do it carefully , don’t break the florets .
3. Make the batter with the ingredients mentioned . Use the baking soda , just before you are ready to fry . Then coat the stuffed cauliflower in the batter and deep fry it on medium low heat until crispy . It took me more than half an hour to fry it both side . While turning over , do it carefully , with at least two spoons .
1. Instead of this crispy batter , you can cover it with mashed potato too . For that after covering it with mashed potato ( mashed potato with salt and black pepper), dip in the egg and then coat in breadcrumbs and deep fry or bake . But I always found it difficult and not worth deep frying it while covered with mashed potato . It gets soggy so soon . So if I cover it with mashed potato , I bake it in a pre-heated oven for at least 40 minutes , then broil it another 5/10 minutes .
This is the pic of Whole stuffed cauliflower ,covered with mashed potato . 😀
2. Please be very careful , while frying and specially , when you turn it over .
3. While making the batter , add the baking soda , just before you are ready to fry . Because , otherwise , baking soda will not work as expected . Don’t omit baking soda as it make the battered thing crispy . So use baking soda and baking powder both ,just in the quantity mentioned .