New York Style Cheese Cake
NY style cheese cake is my daughter’s favorite one . But I was too scared too make them . While researching a bit , often found people complaining about so many things , from crack to taste . And yes , not to mention ,too many recipes and almost all the recipes call for too much quantity of the ingredients, which is bit uncomfortable for a beginner like me who hates to waste !!! So I researched a bit with almost every good recipes and updated my version for the beginners . My version is just perfect for a 8″ round springform pan . I used two smaller pans for this . One for Chocolate Swirl and another for orange marmalade swirl . I’ll share the both swirls .
For the crust :
1 cup any digestive biscuits like Graham crackers or Marie , crushed ( I used half cup oreo cookie crust for chocolate swirl and half cup graham crackers for the other)
5 tbl spoon melted butter
For the filling:
1 package of Philadelphia Cream Cheese ( 8 oz) , room temperature
1/3 rd cup of sour cream , room temperature
2 tbl spoon of heavy cream, room temperature
1/2 ( half) a cup of sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tea spoon of vanilla essence
1. Pre heat the oven to 350 FH .
2. In a bowl combine the crushed cookies and butter . Now press onto the bottom of the springform pan . those who are not using springform , line the pan with aluminium foil or parchment paper then press the cookie crust . The foil or parchment paper should have the height higher than the pan , so that when you will try to unmold , u can take it out easily without ruining the cake . But please try to use springform .
3. Bake the crust for 10 minutes . Turn off the oven . Let the crust cool down .
4. Preheat the oven to 300 FH. Now for the filling , beat the cream cheese , sour cream , heavy cream , vanilla essence and sugar together until incorporated . make sure there is no lump of cheese . Add the egg and beat in medium speed until incorporated . Don’t over beat , that might cause to crack the top of the cake . Specially when you add the egg , don’t beat too much .
5. Pour the batter over the crust . Dot the top of the batter with melted chocolate or slightly warmed orange marmalade . Now with a toothpick or the sharp edge of knife swirl the surface of the cake to have that marbled effect . Now cover the bottom and sides of the pan with aluminium foil to avoid leaks .
6. Take a baking tray and pour some water now place the cake pan over it and place it in the pre heated oven . Reduce the heat to 250 FH and bake for at least 55 minutes . It may take more or less depending on the oven . But don’t open the door of the oven at least before 40 minutes that may cause sink in the middle .
A perfectly baked cheesecake will be puffy around the edges but will still wobble or jiggle in the center about 1 inch or so if shaken . So don’t try to over bake . Cool it completely before you put it in the refrigerator . When cooled down keep it in the refrigerator for at least 4/ 5 hours to set nicely .