Deshi bakery style Fruit Cake
Who doesn’t love fruit cake !!! Specially the deshi bakery style one ?? Dense but softy softy, not chewy at all unlike here!! I always make this cake using evaporated and condensed milk , making it extra rich and flavorful !! Well , it should be , it is “FRUIT CAKE” !!!
2 eggs ( room temperature)
1/2 cup butter+oil + 1 tbl spoon butter ( I took 1/4 th cup+1 tbl spoon butter + 1/4 th cup oil)
1/2 cup caster / powdered sugar
1 cup + 2 tbl spoon all purpose flour
1/2 tea spoon baking powder
1/4 th tea spoon baking soda
1 tea spoon lemon or orange zest
1 tea spoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup condensed milk + evaporated milk (I took 1/4 th cup condensed milk and 1/4 th cup evaporated milk )*+1 or 2 tbl spoon of milk(if needed)
Tutti fruite / dried and candied fruits
1. Pre-heat the oven to 325 FH .
2. Mix condensed milk in evaporated milk . Those who do not have evaporated milk , just take 1/4 th cup of regular milk and mix 2 tbl spoon heaped powder milk in it .
3. Sieve the flour along with baking powder, baking soda . Mix lemon zest in it . Mix the dried and candied fruits with the flour. It will help the fruits not to sink on the bottom .
4. Beat sugar , butter , oil together until light , creamy and fluffy . Beat very well .Add egg , one at a time and beat until incorporated. Don’t over beat the eggs , that would make the batter runny . For a good quality and textured cake , we need the batter little thick after adding the eggs . So after creaming the butter and sugar , add in the eggs one at a time and beat just until incorporated , not too much beating at this point and not so less that the eggs are not fully incorporated in the batter . Make sure the eggs are nicely incorporated into the batter but just not over beaten making the batter runny . Now add the Add the vanilla essence .
5.Now alternately fold in the flour and milk to the egg mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour . That is , put some flour , mix , then add milk , mix . Continue like this . Flour , then milk . Never add the flour all at a time . Fold it with light hand in clock wise motion with a spatula . Over mixing can ruin your cake . Unlike other cake batter , this batter is heavy , otherwise the fruits will sink on the bottom . If you think the batter is too heavy , you may add 1 or 2 tbl spoon of liquid milk in it . But son’t make it thin . It has to be heavy.
6. Pour the batter in the cake pan. Add some chopped cherries over the batter. Tap for few times. cover the cake pan with aluminium foil like a tent . The pic is given in the note section . The moisture locked in it will help even rising and also help to prevent to be colored too early. Remove the tent after 30 minutes later or when the cake has already risen. Don’t try to remove it until the cake risen , or else the air , after opening the door of the oven will collapse the cake in the middle .
Bake immediately at 325 fh in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or an hour or more or if toothpick inserted come out clean. . It may take a little longer too , depending on the oven . It took me around 50 minutes to get it done . Don’t over bake . Check after 45 minutes .
Cool down the cake completely , before you slice them . It tastes better with time . 🙂
1. Try to powder the sugar before you start beating them with butter-oil . The moisture , while beating the sugar with butter is need can be acquired easily if the sugars are powdered. Not only for this recipe , try this in other cake recipes too . You will see the wonder , light and fluffy within a very shorter period of time .
2. Careful while mixing evaporated milk with condensed milk . there should be no lump in it .
3. Always use room temperature eggs , butter to get the maximum result .
4. The temperature and timing of oven is very important in this type of fruit cake , since candied fruits are used , it may take little longer to get done . You have to bake the cake at low temperature so that the fruits inside should not taste bitter .
5. Many a time we see the surface of our cake crack or doesn’t rise evenly . Most of the times , the center rise too high than the other parts and crack . For the smooth flat top of the cake , I’d love to share two secrets ;
# Tap the cake pan with batter few times on the counter top , before putting them in the oven .
# Not only tapping , another thing is necessary , cover the cake pan with aluminium foil like a tent like the pic below . The moisture locked in it will help even rising and also help to prevent to be colored too early . Remove the tent after 25/ 30 minutes later or when the cake has already risen . Also the temperature is very important , if the cake is baked at high temperature , the center will rise more than other parts . So the aluminium foil helps direct heating or excess heating . 🙂
6.Don’t cut the cake immediately . Let it cool completely and then slice them . The cake tastes better with time . I found it more flavorful the next day ( after 10-12 hours )after I baked it . But you have to keep the cake in an air tight container .