Chocolate Malt cake
This cake is a must try …. Do try the recipe , very simple yet too elegant to look at and the taste is simply heavenly !!!
3 eggs , room temperature
1 cup of caster or powdered sugar
2/3 rd cup vegetable oil + 1/4 th cup butter(room temperature)
1/3 rd cup + 1 tbl spoon , heaped , sour cream
3/4 th cup all purpose flour + 1 tbl spoon corn starch
1/4 th cup malt powder ( you can use Ovaltine or any other malt drink powder)
3 tbl spoon good quality Cocoa powder
1/4 th cup chocolate chips , melted in 1/4 th cup of heavy cream
1 tea spoon vanilla essence
1 tea spoon baking powder
1/4 th tea spoon baking soda
For frosting :
2 stick / 8 oz ( 1 cup) of butter
4 oz / half cup cream cheese
1/4 th cup chocolate chips melted in 1/4 th cup cream
2 tbl spoon cocoa powder
2 tbl spoon malt powder
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tea spoon vanilla essence
To moist the cake layers:
Other ingredients for decoration:
Chopped chocolate , malted milk balls and nuts
1. Grease and line two 7″ sandwich pans ( pans of same size ) with parchment paper. Pre-heat the oven to 350 FH .
2. Sieve flour , cornstarch , cocoa powder, malt powder, baking powder and baking soda together .
3. Now separate the egg yolks and and egg whites . Beat the egg whites until stiff , that is the beaten whites does not fall from the beater . That is what we call meringue . Now add the egg yolks one at a time and beat well .
4. Beat the oil, butter and sugar until light and fluffy and looks like cream . Add the melted chocolate in it . You can melt the chocolate with heavy cream following double boiler method or just microwave for 30-40 seconds . Then stir in the spoon to melt them completely . The chips will soften if yo u microwave , you have to melt it with the spoon . Add the egg mixture .Beat until incorporated . Add the sour cream and beat until incorporated .
5. Now fold in the flour mixture to the cream mixture in three bathes . Don’t try to put all the flour mixture at once.
6. Pour in the prepared pan evenly and tap the pans few times to release any air bubble. Cover the pans with aluminium foil tent , little higher than the pan , so that when the cake rises , it does not touch the foil tent . This foil tent is to ensure even baking , smooth , even surface and to prevent the crust over the cakes . Bake immediately in a preheated oven for 25- 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean . The baking time may vary depending on the oven and power system .
7. After taking out from the oven cool the cakes completely . Moist them with milk and chocolate syrup . Now spread the frosting over one cake and cover it with the other cake . Spread frosting over it and cover the whole cake with frosting . Refrigerate for a while until the cream setss. Now add the chopped chocolate and nuts around the cake over the frosting .
Every ingredients should be of room temperature .
Cream the butter and cream cheese . Add the cocoa powder and malt powder , beat .Add the melted chocolate, beat . Add the icing sugar and beat again.
If you don’t have same sized pans . Then don’t mix the baking powder and baking soda with the flour . Divide the batter and divide the bakingpowder and baking soda . Take half of the batter and mix half of the baking powder and baking soda required for the whole recipe . Now bake it immediately . After one cake is baked , take the other half of the remaining batter and mix the remaining baking powder and soda in it and bake .
Make sure the cake pan is completely cooled down before you bake the second batch . 🙂