Yes , apparently it is an egg and butterless cake !! Oil less too !!! And it is a chocolate mayonnaise cake !! You heard that right !! Mayonnaise !! 😀 Mayonnaise is all about egg , oil and vinegar and that’s why it replaces the addition of extra egg and butter/oil .All these three ingredients of mayonnaise are responsible to make a cake super moist !!!
This is the basic Southern style mayonnaise chocolate cake recipe !! I just changed a tiny bit ..
For the cake :
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 cup caster sugar ( powdered sugar)
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4th cup cocoa powder
1 and 1/2 tea spoon baking soda
1/2 tea spoon baking powder
1/4 th cup liquid milk
1/2 cup water or brewed coffee or you can add 1 tea spoon instant coffee in 1/2 cup hot water
1 tea spoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
1/3 rd cup Heavy cream ( you can use regular liquid milk instead)
1 tbl spoon butter
Chocolate frosting :
1/2 cup Semi sweet chocolate chips
1/3 rd cup heavy cream
2 tbl spoon butter ( softened)
1 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven to 350 FH . Grease a 8″ square baking pan and line with parchment paper .
2. Sieve flour , cocoa powder , baking soda and baking powder together .
3. In a bowl put the mayonnaise and caster sugar . Beat with an electric hand beater until fluffy . Add the 1/4th cup liquid milk and vanilla essence , beat .
4. Now add the flour mixture alternately with warm water / brewed coffee in three bathces . Mix very well . You can use the electric beater at lowest speed at the very end just to make sure everythings incorporated well .
5. Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean . Baking time may vary according to various oven and power system .
6. Cool the cake completely and then apply ganache . Let the ganache set over the cake . Then use the frosting . 🙂
For Chocolate Ganache :
Heat chocolate chips , butter and heavy cream in the microwave until the chocolates are almost melting !! Around 50 seconds . Don’t try to melt it completely in the oven , that might get burnt . So when the chocolate are almost in melting stage stir gently to melt in completely . Let it cool . Then apply on the cake . After the ganache is set , then apply the chocolate frosting to decorate .
For chocolate frosting :
Heat butter , chocolate and heavy cream together . Cool down . Then add vanilla essence and icing sugar little by little and beat with the electric beater . Let it set for couple of minutes .
I used single layered cake . If you wish you can make layered cake and spread the chocolate frosting in between the layers . 🙂