Daddojanam refers to tempered spiced curd rice – a comforting South Indian recipe . When rice is replaced with flattened rice or poha/ chira , it is called Atakula daddojanam .
I am on diet since couple of days!! So looking for healthy but yummy diet friendly recipes !!! Just got an awesome idea .. This is a South Indian speciality “Atakula Daddojanam” or Savory Dahi- flattened rice ( chira ) !!! Inspired by my Indian blogger friend Aruna Panangapalli of Aharam. Thank u Aruna !! I just modified a little !! A great recipe if you are looking for low-cal but healthy breakfast options !!! This is not more than 280 cal !!! If you are looking for more healthy option , you can try this with oats too . I’ll mention the process at the end of the recipe too .
Ingredients : ( serving for 1 )
1/4 th cup flattened rice / poha
1/3 rd cup ,plain yogurt
1/2 tea spoon musturd seed
2/3 dried red chilies
1 tea spoon finely sliced ginger
1 tea spoon chaana daal
Few Curry pattas
Salt to taste
1/2 ( half) tbl spoon oil
1. Wash and saok the chira in water for few minutes , until soft , around 5 minutes . Drain out the water .
2. Beat the yogurt and mix with chira . Add some salt , not too much .
3. Put oil in a frypan and add musturd seed , before the oil is too hot . Otherwise the seeds will be burnt and will taste bitter . Now add the dried chilies , chana daal , peanuts . fry a little until the daal and peanuts are brown and crispy . Add the ginger . Add few curry pattas and pour the tempering over the Dahi-chira and serve !!
1. You can use oats instead of chira too . For that cook oats with water until it absorbs all the water . Let it come to room temperature , then mix with yogurt and temper like the process above.
2. You can add cubed fried carrots and potatoes , if you are not on diet . 🙂
You can go and check Aruna’s recipe for Atakula Daddojanam !! Here’s the link;