Though named ” Italian Cream Cake ” , it hardly has any connection with Italy . It is one of the classic Southern recipes !! Ooooooo I love Southern style cakes !!! I am on diet and as per my diet plan on the 9 th day , I am allowed to eat whatever I like !! The moment I started following my diet chart I was craving like crazy for a piece of Humming bird or Italian Cream cake .. Don’t have crushed pineapple at home . So made Italian cream cake !! Yayyyyyyyyyy !! It’s my 9 th day !! I can eat whatever I like , I can “EAT” that rich creamcheese -butter cream frosting on that huge slice of moist cake… yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!! 😀
Original recipe makes about 9″ three layered cake . I just took half the ingredients with slight improvisation and changes . In stead of shortening as mentioned in the original recipe , I took oil and butter , which helped the cake to be moist even when it is kept inthe fridge . 🙂
BTW Please ignore the decoration of the cake !! I did it in 7 munutes !! My 3 years old son was so interested to squeeze the piping bag !! Thank God , at least I finshed decorating it . 😀
1 cup cake flour / all purposr flour
2 eggs + 1 egg white ( whites and yolk separated)
1/4 th cup butter ( softened) +1/2 cup oil
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 ( half ) cup , buttermilk
1/2 cup flaked coconut , crushed
1/3 rd cup chopped walnut
2 tea spoon vanilla essence
1/4 th tea spoon baking powder
1/4 th tea spoon baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting :
1 packege or 8 0z or 1 cup cream cheese
3 sticks of butter ( 1 and 1/2 cup), softened
2 cups of caster sugar
1. Separate the egg whites and yolks .
2. Preheat the oven to 350 FH.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff .
4. Beat the butter , oil and caster/ powdered sugar until light and fluffy . Add the egg yolks , one at a time. add in the vanilla essence Add coconut and beat .
5. Sieve the flour , baking powder , baking soda . Now fold in the flour in egg mixture alternately with buttermilk . Fold in the egg white .
6. Add chopped walnut . Pour the mixture into two greased 8″ sized pan and bake for about 25-35 minutes or until if toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool the cakes completely before applying frosting .
Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add powdered sugar,
beating at low speed until blended. Beat frosting at high speed until smooth.
1. If you don’t have cake flour , just take out 2 tbl spoon flour from 1 cup flour and add 2 tbl spoon of cornstarch . Your cake flour is ready !!!
2. If you can’t find buttermilk at your local stores , add 1 tbl spoon white vinegar in 1 cup luke wram milk and cover it for 10 minutes . Your buttermilk is ready too .
Thank u .. 🙂