This is my Aunt’s ( my choto khala, we call her Munnila ) recipe . I just improvised a little .
Chaana/ chenna / cheese from 1 and 1/2 ltr milk ( around 3/4 th cup chaana)
1 and 1/4 th cup Evoparated Milk
1 cup regular milk + 1tbl spoon powder milk
2 or 3 green cardamom
Sugar to taste ( around 1/2 cup)
Rose water ( optional)
Nuts and raisins for garnishing
1. Make chaana from 1 and 1/2 ltr full cream milk . For that boil the milk . When the milk is boiling hot add 2 tbl spoon vinegar mixed in 2 tbl spoon water and stir until the water separates from the milk . For chaanar payesh , we need little hard chaana unlike chaana for deshi sweets . So I’m using vinegar as it is very strong and curdles the milk more .
2. Drain the chana and wash with cold water . Now squeeze out the water and put the chaan in the fridger for an hour . It would help to set the chaana .
3. Boil evaporated and regular milk with cardamoms . Add the sugar . Now cool down the milk a little . Add the chaana to the milk , when it is not too hot . Sprinkle some rose water .
4. Garnish with nuts and raisins .
1. If you don’t find evaporated milk just add powder milk with the regular milk to thicken it .
2. You can use condensed milk in the milk mixture too . In that case just reduce the sugar as condensed milk has sugar in it too .