Usually pound cakes doesn’t require separating eggs while making the batter , but if you want a dense but lighter , cotton soft version go for this technique . Trust me , you will love the cake !! 😀
2 eggs , separed ( egg yolks and whites are separated)
1 and 1/4 th cup all purpose flour / maida
1 tea spoon baking powder
1/4 th tea spoon baking soda
2 tbl spoon powder milk
2/3 rd + 1 tbl spoon powdered sugar
1/3 rd cup oil + 4 tbl spoon ( 1/4 th cup)butter
2 tbl spoon cream cheese ( optional , but works great )
Little less than 1/3 rd cup evoparated milk or regular full fat milk
2 tbl spoon orange juice
1 tea spoon vanilla essence
3/4 th cup tuttie fruttie or candied fruits
Half tbl spoon orange zest/ lemon zest
1. Pre heat the oven to 350 FH.Line and grease the cake pan .
2. Separate the egg yolks from whites . Careful , there must not be a drop of yolk in the white . Take a clean bowl , without any trace of fat or water . keep the whites there . Now beat the whites with an electric beater or mixer until stiff but not dry . keep it aside .
3. Sieve the flour , baking powder , baking soda together . Add the orange/ lemon zest in it . Add the tuttie fruttie and mix well .
4. Now in another separate bowl cream the butter, oil , sugar and cream cheese until light and fluffy . Add in the yolks , one at a time . Add the milk , add the orange juice . Mix well . Now fold in the flour in three batches . Fold in the beaten egg whites in three batches too until well incorporated . The batter may look heavy but in order to get the tuttie fruttie evenly spread out , we need heavy batter .
5. Pour in the prepared pan , tap for few times and bake immediately for 45-50 minutes or until if toothpick inserted comes out clean . Each oven acts differently , so keep an eye on the time , it may be done earlier or may take some more time . But don’t open the door of the oven too frequently not before the cake rises .
In some oven the top of the cakes get colored too easily . To prevent over browning and cracks , for smooth , even cake top , I often use tent method . Just before putting in the oven make an aluminium tent over the pan and remove it after 30 minutes of baking or when the cake has risen completely . You can check the link for this method ;
Don’t cut the cake immediately . Cool down completely , then cut . This cakes get best flavor with time . So try to consume at least 4 or 5 hours after baking . I always enjoy these cakes the next day . But store it in a close lid box . 🙂