Stromboli , Folded Pizza
Stromboli !! this is kind of folded Pizza , ingredients though Italian, usually salami , pepperoni , provolone cheese , mozarella, it is indeed originated in USA back in 50s and named after the famous Ingrid Bergman starred movie “Stromboli” by the Romanos in Philadelphia .
Ingredients: (Would make 12″ long 2 Strombolis)
2 and 1/4 th cup of All purpose flour
2 tea spoon yeast
2 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tbl spoon of milk powder
1 beaten egg
4 tbl spoon of oil+ 1 tbl spoon of ghee/butter ( ghee is better)
Luke warm liquid milk , enough to make a dough ( it took me almost 1/2 a cup milk)
Prepared shredded chicken or beef mince or both ( you can take salami , pepperoni , bologna , I ran out my halal salami so made with the ground meat )
Mozzarella, cheddar cheese
Green and yellow bell pepper, Italian pepper
Pizza sauce or any sauce of your choice
1 tea spoon Finely grated garlic
1 beaten egg for egg wash
Olive or any vegetable oil for oil brush
For prepared beef mince , I boiled the mince with soy sauce , little salt and ginger-garlic paste until dried out. Then , in oil , added the mince , and added little oyster sauce , carrot , onion and chopped capsicum and chilies .
For Shredded chicken , just boil the chicken breast with soy sauce , ginger paste and whole black pepper . Dry out the water and shred the chicken pieces .
1. Combine all the ingredients ( that is flour , yeast , sugar , salt , milk powder , egg, 1 tbl spoon of ghee )except 4 tbl spoon oil . Now make a soft dough . Don’t make a hard , tight dough . The softer is your dough the , softer is the bread . So , you may need a little more milk too . First , the dough may seem very sticky . Now add the oil and knead . Now it will be easier to knead . Knead very well, so that the dough becomes glossy and smooth . The dough will come together and won’t stick any more . Knead for at least 10 minutes . The more you knead , the softer bread you get . If you find little sticky at the end , you may add little oil . Form the dough into a ball and rub some oil over it .
2. Now put the dough in a greased , closed lid box and place it in a warm place .. It may take an hour or more to get the dough double in volume . If it becomes fluffy and double in volume , the dough is ready to make the Stromboli. Sometimes it may get longer time to rise . Sometimes it takes almost 2 and half hour to rise up and to be fluffy . So don’t do anything until it rise up in volume and becomes fluffy .
3. Punch down all the air form the dough . Now roll out the dough into a square . The quantity mentioned in the recipe will make two 12″ long stromboli .Don’t use too much extra flour to roll out . It may make your bread hard . Just roll them on a slightly flour dusted counter top .
4.Spread pizza sauce over most of the dough, leaving a 2 inch border. Now arrange the stuffing demonstrated in the pic .
5. Brush with olive or any other vegetable oil , then brush with beaten egg . Sprinkle with Italian seasoning . Cover with a cling film and let it rise for another half n hour .
6. In the mean time pre-heat the oven at 400 FH or 200 centigrade . Bake the Stromboli for 15-20 minutes . it took me 17 minutes . May vary oven to oven . But don’t over bake , that would dry out the bread . 🙂 After removing from the oven rub some butter over it for soft and glossy look . This would keep your bread soft for a longer time .
1. I have many followers living in Bangladesh and ask me to give the ingredients available in Bangladesh . Trust me , you will find every ingredients mentioned above in Bangladesh in big super stores . If you don’t find Provolone cheese , leave it . Mozzarella , cheddar is available .
If you don’t find the Italian seasoning , make your own with these ingredients , they are available in Bangladesh ;
2 Tablespoons basil
2 Tablespoons marjoram
2 Tablespoons oregano
2 Tablespoons rosemary
2 Tablespoons thyme
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined. keep it in the air tight container . 🙂