Rohu Fish with green papaya / pepe diye rui macher jhol
6/7 Rohu Fish Pieces
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 tbl spoon ( heaped ) onion paste
3/4 th tea spoon turmeric powder
1 and half tea spoon Chili powder or according to your taste
1/4 th tea spoon coriander powder
Half of a medium sized papaya , cut into thick cubes
Salt to taste
5/6 whole green chilies
Other ingredients :
Little turmeric, salt and chili powder to fry the fish .
1. Rub little turmeric , chili powder and salt on the pieces of fish and keep it aside for half and hour . Then shallow fry them . Take them out from the oil .
2. In the same oil , add the chopped onion . Fry until light brown . Add the onion paste and little water . Add the chili, turmeric powder and salt and cook well adding water little by little . Now add the papaya and cook well . Green papayas take bit longer time to get well done , so what I do , I always steam them for 10-15 minutes or until half done . Then I add the papya to the masala and cook . Now add the fish and enough water .
3. Cook them until comes the desired consistency . Add the whole green chilies and cook on low flame for another 5/ 7 minutes with lid on . At the end add the chopped cilantro and serve hot with plain rice . 🙂
1. As I have mentioned earlier , to save some time , steam the papaya ( not boil ) for 10/15 minutes . Believe me , it saves time without compromising the taste and nutrition .
1. Fillet of any fish, I took 2 fillets of Tilapia
2. Chopped onion 1 medium onio
3. Onion Paste 2 tbl spoon
4. Chopped Garlic 2 cloves
5. Garlic Paste 1/2 (half) teaspoon
6. Ginger Paste 1 teaspoon
7.Tamarind sauce/Tamarind to taste.
8.Indian 5 spices ( crushed) 1 teaspoon
9.Chopped tomato 1 small
10. Turmeric powder half teaspoon
11. Red Chilli Powder 1 teaspoon
12.Cumin half teaspoon
13. Whole Coriander half teaspoon
14.Mustard oil 1 teaspoon.
15. Salt and sugar to taste.
16. Bell peppers cubed and green chilies
1.Take any fish fillet…I took tilapia fillet…Cut them into cubes…..Wash them thoroughly..rub them with salt,lil turmeric and red chili powder…Fry them a little while..Don’t over fry them…
2.Now in oil put sliced onion..Fry them till tender. Add finely chopped garlic and fry them until the onion and garlic gets light brown..Add salt, onion paste and ginger paste, little turmeric and chili powder in it…You need to cook the spices very well adding water little by little.
3. Add chopped tomato ..Add water when the tomatos are completely dissolved in the gravy..Add fish cubes in the gravy..Add lilttle tetul chunney ( store bought Indian tamarind sauce)in it..:).. You can use tamarind, soaked in water .In that case use little sugar with it.
4.When the gravy is reducing add green chilies and cubed bell peppers…
5.Now the final part, for the achari flavor, crush pachforon( Indian 5 spices) , whole corriander seed and little cumin seed together..put them into the gravy…add 1 teaspoon mustard oil over the fish , cover the lid, and keep it on very low flame for 5 min ..( which we call to keep on “Dom” in Bangla)…ready.. You may add little sugar to sharpen the taste..:)
Not only fillet, you can try this recipe with regular cut fishes too.
Posted on January 24, 2013 by khadizahaque in Fish, Fish and Seafood
Tagged Achari Fish, Achari MAch, Achari Mas, Acharii, Achary, Bangladeshi Fish Recipe, Fish, Fish recipe, Indian Fish recipe, South Indian Food
Left over Fish diye jhuri ( crunchy one)
Rui macher jhuri with lemon zest and methi ( fenugreek)