Morog Polau/Chicken Biriyani
For Chicken preparation:
1. 1 medium chicken cut in 4 pieces
2. 1/4th cup ( one-fourth cup) of yogurt
3. Ginger paste 2 tblspoon + 1 tbl spoon
4. Garlic 2 teaspoon
5. Onion Paste 1/2 ( half cup)
6. special garam masala powder ( the recipe is given below) 2 teaspoon
7. Whole cardamom, cinnamon , bayleaf
8. food color
9. regular milk 1/4th ( one-fourth) cup
11. salt and sugar to taste
12. chili powder 1 teaspoon
13. Corriander powder 1 teaspoon
Special garam masala:
Microwave or you can dry roast cumin seed, whole corriander seed, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, nutmeg (jaifol), mace ( joyetree/javetri) together. Then crush them into a very fine powder.
1.Aromatic rice like kalojeera or Basmati 750 gram or 3 cup
2.Ginger paste 2 teaspoon
3.whole garam masala like 2 pods of cardamom ( elachi) , one small cinammon stick and 2 bay leaf.
4. Sliced onion 1/4 th cup
5. Handful of green chilies (whole), atleast 15/20
6. salt to taste
1. Wash the chicken pieces and marinate them with ginger juice from 1 tbl spoon of ginger paste , salt and food color (optional, you can alwayz omit the food color) for at least 1 hour. You can include potato in your Morog polau. In that case cut the potatos and rub with little food color and salt.
2. heat oil and fry the potatoes and keep aside. Fry the chicken pieces for a while. Add the whole garam masala.
3. Beat yogurt and combine other ingredients except milk and sugar.
4. Add into the chicken and cook adding water little by little.
4. Add water and cook the chicken. When the gravy is reducing add the potatoes. The potatoes should be half done at the end of the cooking. Otherwise after adding it into polau over cooking may break the potato pieces.The same is with the chicken pieces. So you should add that amount of water so that your chicken is done but still remains firm. When the gravy is almost dried out add one fouth cup of milk and 1 teaspoon of sugar. The gravy should be almost dried out. Only a little gravy should remain.
5. In another vessel add oil+ ghee.Put whole garam masala and fry for a while. Add the sliced onion. Fry them until golden brown. Add the ginger paste and salt..Add rice (soaked and drained out)..Fry for a while.
6. Now add the chicken, potatos into it with the little remaining gravy. Add hot water. If you take 3 cups of rice add 4 and half cups of water. For each cup of rice 1 and half cup of hot water.
7 Cook the rice on medium low flame. Don’t stir your polau after adding the water.That would make your polau gooey and sticky.The water will be almost dried out within 15 minutes. You may think, your pulao looks half done. Don’t worry when we are going to place it on “dom” ( cooking on very low heat), it will be fully done.
8. Add handful of green chilies. Remember the taste of biriyani alwayz depends on the amount of green chilies added in it. they enhances the taste. Since you are adding whole green chilies it won’t make your polau that hot.You may stir your polau now with a very light hand not breaking the rice so that it sould not get burnt at the bottom.
9. Now Cook the polau on medium low heat that we call to keep it on dom. I alwayz use “bain marie” or double boiler system, that works excellent for me. Put your polau vessel over another same size vessel, filled with water. Place it on heat. The steam will make your poalu so moist free.
when done spread some ghee over your Chicken biriyani, it would enhance the flavor. Sprinkle some keora water. Your Morog Polau/ Chicken biriyani is ready. Serve hot with kabab and salad.
Bon A Petit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!