General Tso’s Chicken
For the marinade:
300 gram of boneless chicken thigh/ breast , cut in cubes ( traditionally thighs are taken for the recipe)
1 beaten egg white
1 Tblspoon soy sauce
Cornstarch, as needed to coat the chicken nicely , but approxmately 3 or 4 tbl spoon
For the Sauce:
Chicken Stock or substitute Water 1/4th cup
Tomato Ketchup 1 and half tbl spoon
Light Soy sauce 2 tbl spoon + 1 teaspoon
White Vinegar 2 teaspoon or 1 tbl spoon , depending on the quality and tartness..
Dark Soy sauce half teaspoon ( optional)
Oyster sauce half teaspoon
Brown Sugar/ Jaggery/ Akher gur, grinded little less than 1 tbl spoon
Sugar half teaspoon
Cornstarch 1 teaspoon
Finely Chopped Ginger 1 and half teaspoon
Finely Chopped garlic half teaspoon
Chopped Scallion 1 teaspoon
Chopped green chilies 1 teaspoon
Dry Chili 1 or 2 (optional)
Sesame seeds, roasted, (optional)
1. Marinate the chicken cubes with the ingredients mentioned for marinade. Keep it aside for half an hour.
2. Heat Oil and deep fry the chickens until crunchy.
3. In another bowl , combine all the ingredients mentioned for sauce. Mix well until the sugar dissolves completely and set aside.
4. Heat the wok , add 2 tbl spoon of sesame oil. Add chopped ginger, chopped garlic , chopped scallion , chopped green chilies and dry chili , Fry a little. Add the chicken pieces and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add sauce mixture to the wok and cook stirring until the sauce becomes thickened. Add the roasted sesame if you want.
1. If you don’t have brown sugar , you can alwayz substitute regular sugar for it.
2. To enhance the color , you may add 1 teaspoon of caramel too . Then omit extra half teaspoon sugar.
3. Some people add Coke or Pepsi to enhance the color and flavor. I haven’t experimented yet, but If you want , you may experiment. 😀 .. But careful , Coke is very sugary , so it will get caramelized with the heat and will become so tough . So add proportionately and cut the sugar amount mentioned in the recipe.
4. Don’t add any extra salt as the sauces contain salt.