Dudhkodu/ Dudh lau / Bottole gourd kheer
Bottle gourd Kheer or Dudh kodu is one of my very favorite dessert since childhood . My grandma was super expert in making this dessert . The creamy texture of the kheer and the taste , out of the world!!!!!!!!!!!
Grated Bottole gourd 2 cups ( try to grate as fine as possible)
Milk, thick , 4 cups ( I took 3 cups of regular milk + 1 cup evaporated milk)
Condensed milk ( Half tin)
Sugar to taste
Mawa/ khoya 1/4 th cup ( I made the mawa with powder milk , will discuss at the notes)
3 cardamom pods , 1 small stick of cinnamon
Ghee 2 tbl spoon
Chopped nuts and raisins
1. Steam the grated bottle gourd for couple of minutes . Don’t ever boil . Now squeeze out the extra water as water will release after steaming .
2. Heat 2 tbl spoon ghee in a pan and fry the bottle gourd for a while . Don’t use too much ghee or don’t over fry . It’s just because to get rid of the raw smell of the bottle gourd .
3. Boil the milk with cardamom, cinnamon in a large heavy bottomed pan . Reduce it until little thick . Add the condensed milk and sugar . Stir continuously .
4. Add the bottle gourd .Don’t stop stirring or else the bottom may get burnt . When the milk consistency get thicker add the mawa . Cook another few minutes until creamy . You may add the chopped nuts and raisins at this point .
5. Sprinkle some rose water . Serve in a beautiful bowl . Garnish it with chopped nuts and dried fruits . Doodh kodu tastes better chilled .
1. Those who doesn’t have evaporated milk , then thicken the milk with powder milk or you can take more milk and reduce it to thicker milk .
2. I made mawa with powder milk . Just put 1 teaspoon of ghee in 1/4th cup of powder milk and mix . It will look like breadcrumbs.