Firni, kheer , payesh always confused me !!!! I always wondered , what could be the difference between them , all being rice pudding and involving the same cooking process !!! Though my mom and grandma always referred the rice pudding with coarse ground rice to be “Firni” , but the age was such to think ” what do they know” !! Sorry Mom and Bubu !!! You are absolutely right !!! It’s not too long , I came to know the difference . Firni is cooked with coarse ground rice , whereas in kheer and payesh , whole rice is used . According to a very wonderful person I know , Amena Apa ;
“Kheer -milk content high. rice minimum
Payesh- rice content higher. Millk does not need to be super reduced.
Firni- ground rice.That acts as a thickening agent. Milk does not need extra boiling off .”
Agreed . But shahi Firni does need thick milk to get the full flavor . For the shahi flavor , don’t forget the good quality rose water and saffron also.
1 liter full cream milk
1/4 th cup evaporated milk or 4 tbl spoon powder milk
1/3 cup of coarse ground rice ( it should not be powdered , must have granules)
1/3 rd cup, nut paste , take almond , peanuts together ( must not be fine paste, it should be coarse in texture)
Sugar to taste ( around 1/2 to 3/4 th cup , depending on your taste)
3 or 4 cardamoms
1 small stick of cinnamon
Rose water ( good quality)
Nuts and dried fruits for garnishing
1. Mix the powder milk or evaporated milk with full cream regular liquid milk . Bring it to boil . While boiling , don’t forget to add the cinnamon , cardamoms in it . Now reduce the milk a bit ( not too much ).
2. Add the ground rice and stir in . While adding the ground rice try to mix it with little liquid milk so that it is incorporated well and evenly in the milk. Cook on low flame . Stir continuously or else the bottom may get burnt . Add the ground nuts .
3. Cook the ground rice in milk until thick, around 25-30 minutes . Add the Sugar . Cook another 10 minutes . Add saffron , soaked in little milk . Firni gets thick after cooling , so don’t make it too thick . Add the rose water,around 1 tbl spoon.
4. Before pouring into the serving dish , don’t forget to take out the garam masalas ( cardamom, cinnamon) . Garnish with dried fruits and edible silver foil .
Serve chilled !!!
1. Always use heavy bottomed saucepan or pot for making firni or kheer .
2. The milk alwayz rise up to the top of the pot. So to be care free alwayz use a large pot to prevent overflowing and mess.
3. To use the nut paste , blanch the almond and nuts . Don’t take the skin .
4. Many use cinnamon, cardamom powder!!!!!! Please !! don’t do this . It ruins the color of firni or kheer . Just boil the milk with the whole cinnamon and cardamoms, take out them before serving , you will get the best flavor for sure . 🙂