Bihari Kabab / Bangladeshi style Sheekh kabab
This is a truly melt in mouth kind of kabab !! Though Sheekh kababs are authentically made with mince meat but in Bangladesh sheekh kababs are made of thin pieces of beef,skewered in large Sheekh or metal skewer and those spicy pieces of heaven would just melt in your mouth !! Bangladeshi residing Biharis played a vital role in the country’s kabab industry .. Most of the kababs are inspired and introduced by these Biharis !!!! No wonder , that’s the reason , the authentic Behari kabab tastes exactly like our version of Sheekh kabab !!
Before I proceed to the recipe , I’d love to share some important ponts ;
1. Marination is very important . Marinate the meat for at least 24 hours .
2. Tenderize the meat by pounding and applying good amount of green papaya paste or grated green papaya , and don’t forget the skin !!! Take the papaya with skin !!!
3. Generous amount of Mustard oil ( shorishar tel) in the marination !!!!
4. Don’t forget to smoke the meat with coal !!
750 gram solid , under cut meat
3 tbl spoon finely grated raw papaya( with skin) or papaya paste with skin
1/3 rd cup yogurt
1/3 rd cup fried onion or bereshta
2 tea spoon spoon ginger paste
2 tea spoon garlic paste
1/2 tea spoon cinnamon powder
1/2 tea spoon nutmeg powder
3/4 th tea spoon roasted cumin powder
1 tea spoon ( heaped) red chili powder
1 tea spoon paprika powder
1 tea spoon poppyseed / posto paste ( optional)
2 tea spoon Bihari kabab masala
1/3 rd cup mustard ( shorishar tel) oil
Salt to taste
Bihari Kabab masala :
5/ 6 dried red chili
1 tbl spoon cumin ( jeera)
1 tbl spoon whole coriander ( dhonia)
3 Black cardamom
4/5 green cardamom
1/2 tea spoon mace ( javetri)
1/4 th tea spoon nutmeg ( jaifol)
9/10 cloves ( long)
2 tea spoon black pepper
1 star anise
1 tea spoon fennel
1 tea spoon kababchini ( optional)
Dry roast the spices and then grind them into a fine powder . it’s better to dry roast the cumin separately and not to dry roast black pepper .
1 coal to smoke
Ghee to smoke the charcoal
1. Cut the meat into thin 2″ or 3 ” strips . Pound them with meat tenderizer hammer or something heavy . But don’t overdo .
2. Marinate the meat with papaya paste first then add all the ingredients. Marinate for at least 24 hours . Keep it in the refrigerator .
3. Light a coal completely . It should be all burning . Now place it on a metal or small aluminum bowl . Add this bowl over the bowl of meat . Add ghee all over the coal and cover with a lid to smoke the meat completely . Keep it like this 10-15 minutes .
4. Skew the meat pieces into the skewer . Rub some extra oil over it . I added a little bit of ghee too .
5. Preheat the oven to 400 FH . Now bake the kababs for 20-30 minutes . Broil it another 15- 20 minutes or until get little charred.
Enjoy with paratha , naan or ruti !! Don’t forget the raita !!! 😀
1. Don’t skip the smoking part . It gives you the flavor we get in a kabab house .
2. If you use bamboo skewer , then soak the skewers into the water for at least half n hour . That would prevent the blackening of the skewers . 🙂
3. While baking , the water from the meat and oil will come out . Just before broiling just remove the excess juice and oil from the kabab so that you get the perfect look .