Zafrani Kheer Patishapta !!!!
Patishapta is a thin Swedish pancake or crepe type pitha , very special and adored by the Bengalis!! No special occasion is complete without it … there can be many variation , sometimes prepared coconut with molasses is used for the stuffing , and sometimes the kheer or the kheersha is used . There is savory version of patishapta too . Vegetables, meat or even cooked noodles is used as the stuffing .
My version , is my special, it is saffron flavored kheer with generous amount of dry nuts and raisins . My friend and family love it so much , hope , you will love it too InshaAllah!!!!!
For the batter:
All purpose flour / maida 1/2 cup ( Half cup)
Rice flour 1/4 th cup ( one-fourth cup)
Semolina/sooji 2 tbl spoon
Liquid milk ( little warm or room temperature) 1 cup + 2 tbl spoon ( 1 cup= 250 ml) or water
Liquid Molasses/ date palm jaggery/ jhola khejur gur 1/4 th cup
For the Stuffing:
Very thick milk 2 cup ( I took 1 and half cup of evaporated milk and half cup of regular liquid milk)
Rice flour 2 level tbl spoon
Sooji 1 tbl spoon
2 cardamoms , 1 small stick of cinnamon
Saffron, soaked in milk
Sugar to taste
Coarsely chopped dried nuts , pista, almond , walnut and raisins
1. Make a thin batter with the ingredients mentioned for batter . The batter should not be too runny or too thick . A little thinner than the medium thickness . The batter should be free-flowing . Cover and keep it aside for at least 1 and half hours . The longer you put the batter to rest , the more perforated pitha or pancake it will be .. 🙂
2. Make the stuffing . Take some of the milk and mix rice flour with it .Boil the rest of the milk with cardamom, cinnamon and sooji . Soak saffron in another small bowl in milk and add it to the milk . I used few drops of food colors too . Add the sugar and the milk mixed with rice flour . Keep stirring , or else the bottom would be burnt . Soon the milk will thicken . Make a hard kheer of it . Cool down and mix the chopped nuts and raisins with it . Don’t chop the nuts finely . Better if you can keep some of them whole so that you can enjoy in every bite .You may sprinkle rose water in the kheer before turning off the stove .
3. Now heat the non stick pan on medium low flame and rub with little oil with a cloth . Take a small ladle and put some batter on the pan . Swirl the pan to cover or coat most of it . Cover the pan . It will take not more than 45 seconds to set.
4. Now put some stuffing or filling lengthwise nearer to the edge , not in the center and keep folding .
1. Don’t forget to rub the pan with oil , every time you put the batter to make pitha.
2. I don’t want my batter to be too sweet , as the stuffing will be sweet too . Those who like sweetness more may add little sugar to the batter too.
3. You can make the stuffing by cooking evaporated and condensed milk together . Make a thick creamy kheer by doing this and use as your stuffing.
6. Please chop the nuts for stuffing coarsely . Don’t chop the nuts finely . Better if you can keep some of them whole so that you can enjoy in every bite