Restaurant style paratha
In Bangladesh , a special type of paratha is being served in the roadside local restaurants – known as “hotel” , soft , less oil , doesn’t get soggy , long after it is fried . Most of the time , this paratha is termed as “sheka/ cheka paratha” . These parathas are crumpled or clapped by the hands immediately they are being fried to release the layers . This clapping of parathas is not an easy task for many of us , as it is considered to be an art !!! Here you go with a little secret , crumple the parathas without burning your hands !! Just put one one hot paratha ( just after frying) into a closed box and shake , shake , shake !!! Shake vigorously for few a times and you get that crumpled parathas !!! Same effect as you get by clapping them by your hands . 🙂
For the dough:
2 cups of flour ( I took 1 cup white atta flour + 1 cup all purpose flour)
2 tea spoon of oil
2 tea spoon of baking powder
2 tea spoon of sugar
Salt to taste
1/2 cup of luke warm milk or water
Enough vegetable shortening / dalda or ghee
1. Make a medium soft dough with the ingredients mentioned above . You may need little more water or milk to get that soft dough . Knead for 1 or two minutes . Don’t knead too much . Cover the dough with a damp cheese cloth and place it on a slightly greased box . Close the box and let the dough rest for minimum 1 hour .
2. After 1 hour , you will find the dough to be very stretchy . That’s the dough we want . 🙂 Now dust your hand with flour and make small balls . You will get 5 or 6 parathas from this recipe .
3. Roll each ball on a slightly flour dusted surface . Don’t put too much flour to knead them . Roll the ball into a large roti. Apply shortening / dalda/ ghee generously all over it . Now make a cut in the middle and try to roll them like a cone like the pic .
Now press the cone and roll the paratha out .
4. Heat the pan or skillet. Add the paratha and fry both side lightly until the color changes to white . Now apply 1 tea spoon of oil over paratha . Rub them all over . Don’t put any oil in the pan , just over the paratha . Turn over and apply the same to the other side of paratha .
5. Crumple the parathas by your hand immediately you remove them from the pan . As I said earlier , the clapping of parathas is bit difficult for many of us . So take a box, put the hot paratha into the box close it and shake vigorously for few times .