Tuna Shami Kabab!!!
Shami kabab is usually made with mince meat and yellow split pea , boiled and blended together to give the shape of tikiya or kabab . The name of the kabab , “Shami” involves many stories . In Urdu / Hindi or Punjabi , Sham means evening. So a version states ,the kabab is named so ,as it is preferred to be consumed in the evening as a snack .
On the other hand , some other version states , in Urdu , Sham means “Syria’, the Middle_Eastern country , pointing the origin of the kabab .
Shami kabab , is no doubt one of my most favorite kabab , I can enjoy any time of the day !! 🙂 I experimented it with Tuna . Came out just perfect . Before , I used to make tuna kabab with tuna and potato , but I opted potato to make this shami kabab . Yellow split pea or channa/ boot daal is used to give the exact same flavor and effect of that of shami kabab made with mince meat .
1 Tuna Can in water/ oil
1/3 rd cup of yellow split pea or chaana daal , soaked in water for at least 3 to 4 hours .
3 tbl spoon fried Onion ( Bereshta)
Chopped mint and cilantro
Chopped green chilies
1 tea spoon Garam masala powder ( optional)
1/2 tea spoon nutmeg powder
1 or 2 eggs , beaten ( start with 1 egg , if still dry add the other)
Salt to taste
1. Drain all the water from the tuna. Squezze hard to remove any extra water.
2. Drain the water from the chaana daal and boil . Dry out the water . The daal should be intact but fully boiled . Now blend the daal in the blender . Don’t put any water in it . The blended daal should be dry .
2. Now combine all the ingredients together. Start with 1 beaten egg , if feels dry add another egg .
3. Shape into kababs and deep fry on medium low heat.
You can store the kababs in deep fridge for a quite a long time.If you want to store, then don’t fry them.After shaping keep them in a box and refrigerate. Fry them and serve whenever you need.
Posted in Fish, Fish and Seafood, Glossary / Notes, Kabab / Kabob
Tagged Kabob, Kebab, sami kabab, sami kebab, Shami Kabab, Shami Kebab, tuna Kabab, tuna kebeb, Tuna Shami Kabab
Mutton Biriyani and Shami Kabab
Mutton biriyani: the ratio of meat and rice should be 2:1..
1 kg mutton: 500 gram kalijeera chaal..
1.marinate the mutton with onion paste, ginger paste, garlic paste, 1/2 cup yogurt, salt,lil corriander powder, chilli powder,bayleaf, chinnamon, and garam masala powder made of cumin(jeera), corriander ( dhone), cardamom( elach), black pepper ( golmorich), mace ( joyetree) , nutmeg ( jaifol) for at least 8/9 hours..it will make the mutton tender and won’t smell a bit..
2. put oil in the pot and cook the meat…bhalo kore koshiye koshiye tarpor cook korte hobe…gravy ekdom kome ashle alu dite hobe…alu ta puro shidhdho hobe na, karon rice’r shathe dear por r na hole gole jaabe…when the gravy is almost drying out add milk and dry out the gravy..
3. wash the rice and put ghee/ oil in the pot..add sliced onion..add bayleaf, cinnamon, cardamom..fry the onion until brown..add tginger paste..then add rice and salt …fry them for a while..add the meat…bhalo kore nere chere paani diye dite hobe…2 cup chaal er jonno 3 cup er moto hot water..add dried plum/ alu bokhara…cover the lid..when water is almost dried out add handfull of green chillies…ektu nere dite hobe jaate niche pora na laage but care ful beshi nara chara dile kintu bhorta bhorta hoye jaabe..just pash theke halka haate niche ektu uthiye dite hobe…ekhon dom e rakhte hobe..sprinkle keora water before serving…
Shami kabab: boil 1 cup of beef keema with 1/4 cup of chaana daal( aage theke chaana/buter daal min 4/5 ghonta bhijiye rakhte hobe), ginger-garlic paste, bayleaf, cardamom, cinnamon, salt, soy sauce…when water dried out blend the kima without adding any water…then add onion bereshta, chopped mint, chopped green chillies, 1 or 2 eggs and lil salt if needed..shepe them and deep fry at medium low flame…..its better to keep them on refrigerator for a while before frying…
January 23, 2013 in Biriyani, Rice and Grains
Tagged bANGLADESHI bIRIYANI, Biriyani, Indian Biriyani, Kabab, Kachchi Biriyani, Kebab, Khashi, khashir biriyani, Mutton, Mutton Biriyani, Shami Kabab, Shami Kebab, Shemi Kebab, South aSIAN fOOD