1 cup sooji or semolina
3/4 th cup sugar ( powdered)
3/4 th cup desiccated coconut
1/3 rd cup melted ghee
1/4 th cup thick milk
1/4 th cup water
1/2 tea spoon cardamom ( elach) powder
1/2 tea spoon saffron or a tiny pinch of food color
Almond / pistachio / raisins , fried in ghee
1. Soak saffron in 1/4 th cup of warm milk . If you don’t have saffron , replace with tiny pinch of food color .
2. Dry roast the sooji/ semolina/ rava in a pan until fragrant and lightly brown . Don’t make it brown . Add the coconut and roast a little together.
3. Add the sugar . Add the melted ghee and mix well . The sooji will look moist due to ghee . You can add the dried fruits at this point .
4. Now the important part add the milk first . Let the sooji absorb the milk . It will look just little moist . Now add the water slowly . Don’t add too much water like halwa , you may not be able to get the correct texture . You have to add the liquid slowly to mix it with sooji evenly .
5. Apply some ghee on your palm and shape them into laddus .